Aquiris Game Studio
Based in Porto Alegre, Brazil
August 20th, 2015
Horizon Chase is a modern take on the 90s old-school racers that we loved the most such as Out Run or Top Gear. The game features unique art direction, with a bright and colorful palette that mixes low-poly environments and highly detailed 2D backgrounds. Controls are very straightforward and comfortable, providing an exciting arcade experience. Composed by Barry Leitch (Top Gear, Lotus and Rush series), the soundtrack is uniquely techno-inspired and energetic. What really sets Horizon Chase apart from other racing games is the blend of its arcade style and the strong sense of actual exploration and discovery that the player feels through its many and quite diverse circuits, many of them dominated by natural landscapes.
"Our ambitions with this title are to bring back the fast paced gameplay, colourful graphics and responsive controls that we truly enjoyed as players with gems like Out Run, Top Gear and Lotus Turbo Challenge." - Amilton Diesel, Technical Art Director and Co-Founder at Aquiris Game Studio. "We felt the need to play an old school racing title with simple but super thrilling gameplay, stylized graphics and vibrant music. We found that there was no game in the market that completely fullfilled our needs as players, so we decided to develop our own alternative, even recreating the technical limitations of the late 80s / early 90s racing games. Horizon Chase will offer a premium experience (not free to play), with a huge variety of environments, all inspired by real world locations and allowing for crazy speed limits. The player unlocks new circuits, cars and upgrades, to make a name for himself in this competition." - Sandro Manfredini, Business Director at Aquiris Game Studio. After 5 months of intense development, Horizon Chase has since evolved in all aspects, from car behavior to the color tones of each environment, every detail of the game has been carefully crafted with the goal of bringing you back in time to golden era of arcades. You'll feel it in each curve you take and every car you race against reaching the first position in the race.
- Classic Arcade Gameplay.
- 16-Bit Graphics Reinvented.
- Barry Leitch's Soundtrack.
- Compete Against Friends.
- No In-App Purchase.
- 16 Unlockable Cars.
- Car Upgrading
- 8 Cups, 32 Cities, 73 Tracks
- Diverse Weather Changes
- 7 Input Methods (MFi Gamepad Compatibility)
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Best Indie Game of 2016" by Brazilian Indie Game Festival (BIG)
- "Best Game of 2015" by developers choice at SBGames 2016
- "Best Audio of 2015" by SBGames 2016
- "Editor's Choice in the App Store US and dozens of other countries" by Apple Editors
- "BEST OF 2015 by Apple Store Editors and featured in more than 154 countries" by Apple Editors
- "Gold Award & Top 20 Best iPhone Games of 2015 Award" by Pocketgamer
- "Best iOS Games of 2015 & Game of the Week Award" by Touch Arcade Editors.
- "Best iOS games of 2015 Award" by MacWorld, AppAdvice, FanSided and Apple 'N' Apps.
- "50 best iPhone games in 2015 Award" Techradar
- "Best Mobile Game of the Year" Game Mob
- "3rd Place at Pocket Gamer's Gamescom BIG Indie Pitch 2015" Gamescom, August, 2015
- "Best Mobile Game of 2015 Award" IGN Brasil
- "Best Brazilian Game of 2015 Audience Award" UOL Jogos
- "Best Brazilian Game of 2015" Brazil Game Awards
- "Metacritic score: 88 (#29 Best iOS Game of 2015)."
- Metacritic, Site
- "I feel like I could go on and on about Horizon Chase, it's really that good. It looks great, it plays great, it's got a ton of content, it's a paltry 3 bucks with no in-app purchases. If you like racing games even in the slightest, you'd be doing yourself a favor by playing this little gem of a game. It's doing well in the charts currently and people in our forums are raving about it, so hopefully that means there's a long, bright future ahead for Horizon Chase."
- Jared Nelson (Game of the Week - TouchArcade) review by Carter Dotson (score 5/5), Toucharcade
- "Arcade racers should instil within you a sense of joy. They should make your heart shudder, your buttocks clench, and your mouth spew out the very worst expletives when you crash on the last corner. But they should also have a sense of swagger. A cockiness that's nothing to do with any in-game characters or tacked-on story, but that stems from the stench of nitrous oxide burning and the sound of tyres squealing to stick to the road. And Horizon Chase has all of this in spades. It's full of bravado, but it's all generated by some of the best racing you're ever likely to see on mobile. And it looks absolutely stunning."
- Harry Slater (Gold Award - Pocket Gamer 9/10), Pocketgamer
- ""It looks gorgeous, with some stunning weather effects, and an odd but pleasing low-poly roadside-object style; it sounds great with veteran games musician Barry Leitch on soundtrack duties; but most importantly, it handles perfectly, and is a joy until the very last track." Craig Grannell and Giancarlo Saldana."
- One of the 50 best iPhone games in 2015 by Techradar, Techradar
- "A love letter to old-school gaming, Horizon Chase channels the Amiga’s Lotus series and Top Gear on the SNES. Thumbing its nose at ‘realism’, this is arcade racing at its best. A few races in and you’ll wonder why all racers aren’t made this way."
- Best Mobile Game of 2015 Nominee. Stuff Gadget Awards, Stuff
- "Even though I am not always into most racing games, I have to say that Horizon Chase is one of my favorite games of the year so far. The graphics are artistic and magnificent, the music is a quirky blast from the past, and the controls are easy enough for anyone to pick up. The gameplay is challenging, there is a ton of content for the price, and replay value is high. Seriously, there is nothing I don’t like about this game, and I’ve had a hard time putting it down since I bought it last night."
- Christine Chan. AppAdvice (10/10), AppAdvice
- "Great controls, great feelings and tons of nostalgia make Horizon Chase one of the best racing games on iOS devices."
- Alberto González. Vandal (9.5/10), Vandal
- "Nice nod to the 80s."
- Jason Bradbury, Website
- "I had so much fun racing I got into "the zone". Horizon Chase ROCKS."
- Christer Kaitila, Website
- "The visuals seem to be striking a balance between paying tribute to retro games and keeping something of a modern feel."
- Carter Dotson, Toucharcade
- "Retro heads will certainly dig it. I know we did: a panel of judges (including journalists, developers, and publishers) picked it as our third favourite game from a pack of nearly 30 at the speed dating-style show off."
- Mark Brown, Pocketgamer
About Aquiris Game Studio
Aquiris is a company based in Porto Alegre, Brazil. With 12 years of history and a team of 70 people, we have been creating games for a broad range of platforms, from browser to PC, consoles and mobile. Our big focus since the very beginning has been on delivering the best artistic, technical and gameplay quality to our players, in partnership with powerful publishing partners. Aquiris is known by the critically acclaimed arcade racing Horizon Chase Turbo, the fast paced FPS Ballistic Overkill, and the F2P mobile Looney Tunes - World of Mayhem.
More information on Aquiris Game Studio, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Youtubers/Streamers monetization permission clause
Aquiris Game Studio gives its explicit and legal permission to all streamers/youtubers /users of video broadcasting service, to monetize videos of our games including but not limited to Horizon Chase and Ballistic Overkill. This permission is (retro-actively) valid for an indefinite duration and shall not be limited to any territory.
Horizon Chase Credits
Felipe Dal Molin
Assistant Game Designer
Guilherme "Vex" Ventura
Yanko Gitahy Oliveira
Rafael Pacheco Kovaleski
Edio Hanoway Kepke
Raphael Lopes Baldi
Bruno "Tinnus" Ferreira
Janderson Salgado Lima
Fernando Rojas Braga
Luiz Eduardo Teixeira